Use communications to help organisations achieve their business goals and have a stong, focused and effective team.
Head of Communications and Information, Qatargas 3&4.....Jan 2007 to present
• Managing communications and information strategy on world’s largest liquefied natural gas project - joint venture with Shell, ConocoPhillips and Qatar Petroleum. Responsibilities include:
o Working with senior management to set define and set strategic direction for communications to support business objectives
Policy Adviser, Health & Safety Executive (UK)…................Aug 2004 to Jan 2007 Developed and implemented strategies to meet legal and policy requirements of the three inter-related legal disclosure regimes prior to the implementation of the FoI Act in 2005. o Dealt with high profile information issues including nuclear power, defence and military, genetically modified organisms and major safety hazards such as petrochemical facilities. o Principal FoI adviser on HSE’s investigation into the Buncefield oil storage depot explosion and fire which resulted in high profile prosecutions.
Communications Manager, Health & Safety Executive (UK)..Feb 2001 to Aug 2004
• British government post with national occupational health and safety enforcement and promotion department.
Communications Manager, Dept. of Social Security (UK)....Nov 1999 to Feb 2001
• British government post with department responsible for welfare and work benefits and state pensions.
o Responsible for external and internal communications, including communications with some 120,000 staff o Public Relations Manager, Quadrant PR (UK).......................Dec 1998 to Nov 1999
• Consultant to Glaxo Wellcome plc (pharmaceuticals) and BHP Petroleum (offshore oil and gas).
Public Relations Officer, London Borough, Hounslow (UK)..July 1997 to Dec 1998
• Responsible for press office and advising councillors and officers on PR and media.
Public Relations Consultant, TPO Ltd (UK) ..........................Oct 1996 to July 1997
• Consultancy role advising industrial and public sector clients. Media Officer, Manweb/Scottish Power plc (utilities) (UK) …May 1989 to Sept 1996
• Joined company to support its transition from a state-owned utility to a privatised plc.
Various communications and media roles before 1989
Qualifications and training:
• Master’s degree in Politics and Mass Media, Distinction, Liverpool University, 2005 • Bachelor’s degree, English Literature, University of Wales, 1984 • Crisis management training, UK government Emergency Planning College (1998) and Civil Service College, Government Information Officer course (2000) • Trained in international Incident Command System, (ICS), used widely in the oil and gas industry • Basic Arabic Beginner’s Certificate (Qatar Language Institute, 2008)
Member of UK Chartered Institute of Public Relations since 1997
• Professional with 20+ years’ experience in corporate and crisis communications, working in national government, local government and industry.