Exploration: News for Oil & Gas and Hydrocarbon Industries  Membership Services »
Gulf Oil and Gas grow your business
Home News Events Projects Tenders Unconventionals community | My Account  Jobs 
Products and vendors Services and providers Oil & Gas Software and publications

Gazprom Discovers Commercial Gas in Algeria

Source: Reuters 11/3/2010, Location: Africa

Share |

Gazprom International has made its first commercial gas discovery on the African continent in Algeria and is scanning other countries in search of opportunities, a senior official said on Wednesday.

Boris Ivanov, head of the international arm of the Russian gas export monopoly, said the discovery was Gazprom's first commercial gas find outside of Russia.

"We have an excellent well. We tested it on the 30th of October," he told reporters on the sidelines of an African oil conference.

"It was 75,000 cubic meters of gas per day and 420 barrels per day of associated liquids," he said. Gazprom is the operator of the project in partnership with Algeria's state-owned Sonatrach. Gazprom holds 49 percent, while Sonatrach owns the other 51 percent.

The El Assel license area where the first prospecting well, Rhourde Sayah-2, is located, lies in the oil- and gas-bearing Berkine Basin and is comprised of three blocks spanning over 3,250 square km, according to Gazprom's website.

Ivanov said Gazprom was also looking at partnering with an indigenous company in Nigeria to buy one of the oil assets owned by Royal Dutch Shell.

"We met Shell. We are investigating the issue right now, looking into the available data in cooperation with this partner and Shell," he said.

"Nothing has been agreed on, but we are interested."

Gazprom is also looking at opportunities across Africa, including in east Africa and Libya.

"We are interested in a lot of places. We are scanning for specific opportunities, and rather actively," he said. Gazprom is also involved in developing the Kudu gas field in Namibia, which will lead to the construction of a 800 MW gas-to-power plant to supply electricity to both Namibia and South Africa.

Exploration News in Algeria >>

Eni Finds New Significant Oil Discovery Offshore Congo
  Congo >>  10/30/2014 - Eni has made a new important oil discovery in the Minsala Marine exploration prospect located in the Marine XII Block offshore Congo at 35 Kilome...
Geopark Provides Update on Llanos 34 Block
  Colombia >>  10/29/2014 - GeoPark Limited, the Latin American oil and gas explorer, operator and consolidator with operations in Chile, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina and Peru, pr...

Eni Finds Significant Gas Offshore Indonesia
  Indonesia >>  10/27/2014 - Eni has made an important gas finding in the Merakes exploration prospect, in the East Sepinggan Block, where Eni is operator with a 100% stake. The...
Repsol Makes Oil Discovery in the United States' Gulf of Mexico
  United States >>  10/27/2014 - Repsol has made a new discovery of high quality oil in the United States’ Gulf of Mexico. The find was made 352 kilometres from the Louisiana coast in...

Tanzania Talks with Total, BP on Hydrocarbon Exploration
  Tanzania >>  10/25/2014 - Tanzania has held talks with France's Total and Britain's BP over oil and gas exploration, its energy ministry said, aiming to add to major companies ...
Vaalco Enters into Subsequent Exploration Phase on Block 5
  Angola >>  10/24/2014 - VAALCO Energy, Inc has entered into the Subsequent Exploration Phase ("SEP") on Block 5 offshore Angola together with its working interest partner, So...



Related Categories: Camp Building  Cleaning Equipment, Services  Communication  Corrosion Products/Services  Development  Exploration  Food Supplies  General  Labor Services  Land & Leasing  Mine Clearance  Oil & Gas Companies  Production  Service Companies  Skilled Labors  Transportation, 4X4 Trucks  Unskilled Labors  Utility Systems  Waste Disposal  Water Supply Services  Welding Products/Services 

Related Articles: Camp Building  Cleaning Equipment, Services  Communication  Corrosion Products/Services  Development  Exploration  General  Labor Services  Land & Leasing  Mine Clearance  Oil & Gas Companies  Production  Service Companies  Transportation, 4X4 Trucks  Utility Systems  Water Supply Services  Welding Products/Services 


Algeria Oil & Gas 1 >>  2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |

More News

Oil & Gas Projects in Algeria >>

Oil & Gas Companies in Algeria >>

Related Links

Countries Quick Links

AO BJ CD CG CI CM DZ EG ET GA GH GN GQ KE LR LY MA MG ML MR MZ NA NE NG RW SC SD SL SN SO TD TN TZ UG ZA ZM
Gulf Oil and Gas E-Marketplace - About - Advertising - Competitive Intelligence - Talent Solutions - Membership Services Follow us on Facebook
Copyright © Universal Solutions All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. - Contact Us  Gulfoilandgas rss feed