Iran’s petroleum ministry’s spokesman stressed on high level of security in the ministry’s communication network stating bulk of computer systems have resumed normal activity following a cyber attack which took place a couple of days ago.
Responding to Shana questions, the ministry’s spokesman, Alireza Nikzad-Rahbar, said the lion’s share of the ministry’s computer systems including Administrative Automation System have recommenced their activities since Tuesday evening.
‘Thanks god, at the time being the computer systems are running with a high level of safety and users are working normally’, he said.
Referring to the ministry’s IT experts’ efforts to launch the other computer systems, Nikzad-Rahar noted that the remaining sectors would resume their activities on Wednesday at the latest.
Earlier he had said the cyber attack had not caused damage to essential data of the ministry due to separation of main servers from public servers.
Whether essential or non-essential, the petroleum ministry’s data have a back up, he said, adding the ministry has the capability to repel cyber attacks which is the result of its strong engineering and technical potentials, the official said.
He confirmed that some minor public data had been damaged which include mainly users’ data.
The attack has been the result of penetrating a virus that has damaged users’ hard disks.
It’s noteworthy that Petro Energy Network (Shana) has not been damaged and has continued coverage of oil industry news without any interruption.