Gulf Oil and Gas accountACCOUNT

Egypt's Citadel Capital Eyes Uganda's Oil Refinery

Source: Reuters 10/1/2012, Location: Africa

Egypt's Citadel Capital could be an investor in Uganda's proposed $2.5 billion oil refinery project, the Egyptian private equity firm's managing director said. Uganda, east Africa's third-largest economy, has said it intends to build a refinery once it starts producing crude oil, and it recently raised its estimated oil reserves to 3.5 billion barrels from 2.5 billion barrels.

Citadel secured $3.7 billion in financing for an Egyptian petroleum refinery project in June, and the firm's managing director Karim Sadek said the company is now looking at refining potential deals in sub-Saharan Africa, including Uganda.

"Yes, we would be interested," Sadek told Reuters in Nairobi, where he addressed a business club. "We know very well what's happening on the Ugandan oil side and we've had discussions before." He said Citadel never invests in projects without a local partner, and he would not be drawn on the size of the investment the private equity group might make since the refinery plans are still in their infancy.

Uganda has outlined plans to build a refinery in Hoima, about 220 km west of its capital Kampala, and in July the government said it was aiming to take up to a 40 percent stake in the plant with a private investor acquiring the remaining 60 percent. Uganda says it wants a facility with a maximum output of 120,000 barrels per day before production can commence, and that it intends to develop the project in phases, starting with a refining capacity of 20,000 barrels.

However, UK oil and gas explorer Tullow Oil, which operates in Uganda and would have its own output refined there, sees a plant with capacity of 60,000 as more viable to attract investors.

Sadek, who is confident the two sides will reach a compromise, said a major impetus behind Uganda's desire to develop its own refining capabilities is an inadequate transport infrastructure.

Uganda currently imports all its fuel, and its policy to become self sufficient was given added urgency by extreme shortages suffered when transport routes from the Indian Ocean were blocked during post-election violence in Kenya in 2008.

Citadel, which has $9.5 billion in investments across Middle East and Africa, is already present in Uganda as the majority owner of Rift Valley Railways (RVR), the track operator of the Kenya-Uganda railway line, which stretches 930km from the Indian Ocean port of Mombasa to Kampala. Sadek said RVR hopes to start refurbishing a northern branch of Uganda's railways which has been derelict for more than 25 years and passes around 90km from the South Sudanese border, compared with currently useable lines nearly 500km from the main crossing into South Sudan.

"(The refurbishment is) a game changer for transport efficiencies for South Sudan because today South Sudan either trucks all the way from Mombasa or from the end of the rail, wherever that is," he said. "It will have a huge impact on costs of everything."

Investment News in Uganda >>

United Kingdom >>  2/24/2021 - Reabold, the investor in upstream oil and gas projects, is pleased to announce that, further to the announcement on 22 February 2021 , the Company has...
Nigeria >>  2/22/2021 - San Leon, the independent oil and gas production, development and exploration company focused on Nigeria, notes the announcement on the funding arrang...

United Arab Emirates >>  2/22/2021 - The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) has announced, its Thamama Center of Excellence (Thamama) has generated $1.1 billion (AED 4.04 billion) in ...
United Kingdom >>  2/22/2021 - Integrated subsea technology and services provider Ashtead Technology has invested 1million to develop a new R&D and engineering facility in Aberdeen...

Nigeria >>  2/21/2021 - The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has called on businessmen to invest in the oil and gas industry instead of indulging in illegal refineries...
Italy >>  2/19/2021 - Eni's Board of Directors, chaired by Lucia Calvosa, yesterday approved the unaudited consolidated results for the full year and the fourth quarter of ...

Related Categories: Accounting, Statistics  Acquisitions and Divestitures  Asset Portfolio Management  Economics/Financial Analysis  General  Industrial Development  Insurance  Investment  Mergers and Acquisitions  Risk Management 

Related Articles: Accounting, Statistics  Acquisitions and Divestitures  Asset Portfolio Management  Economics/Financial Analysis  General  Insurance  Investment  Mergers and Acquisitions  Risk Management 


Uganda Oil & Gas 1 >>  2 | 3 | 4 |

Oil & Gas Projects in Uganda >>

More News

Related Links

Gulf Oil and Gas
Copyright 2020 Universal Solutions All rights reserved. - Terms of Service - Privacy Policy.