- Further enables shift to a global leader in high-value solutions
Continue to expect $0.52 to $0.57 of adjusted EPS accretion from PA for fiscal 2022
Accelerating its growth strategy as a leading technology-enabled solutions provider, Jacobs has taken a 65% stake in PA Consulting, a leading innovation and transformation consulting firm. The investment places an enterprise value of PA at £1.825 billion ($2.5 billion1) and transforms PA into a global player at scale. The remaining 35% stake is held by PA employees.
"This strategic partnership accelerates our strategy to become a leader in bringing greater innovation and creativity to respond to current-day challenges such as climate change, cyber, urbanization and the ongoing healthcare crisis," said Jacobs Chair and CEO Steve Demetriou. "PA has delivered strong growth over the last five years and together our organizations will set a new industry benchmark in differentiated solutions that deliver superior end-to-end value for Jacobs and PA clients, employees and investors."
Paving the way for closing, the transaction was overwhelmingly approved by PA employees and shareholders, with 99.9% voting in favor of the partnership. Voluntary election for management rollover was fully subscribed, indicating the enthusiasm and commitment of PA partners and employees about the growth opportunity.
CEO of PA Consulting Ken Toombs said: "The completion of Jacobs' investment marks the beginning of an exciting new chapter for PA. Jacobs' culture, values and client base are closely aligned to our own, making them a natural marketplace partner. Their complementary capabilities will further strengthen our ability to deliver innovative solutions for our clients. The overwhelming support of PA shareholders for the transaction is a testament to the great potential we all see in this partnership."
The partnership respects and preserves PA's independence and heritage, and advances opportunities for both Jacobs and PA employees through collaboration and co-creation of innovative solutions for clients. Joint go-to-market teams are aimed at high growth sectors of Health and Life Sciences, Public Services, Consumer and Manufacturing, and Defense and Security to help address some of the world's most critical challenges.
PA's reputation for tackling these challenges is evidenced by their work in:
- improving people's lives, by supporting the U.K. Government with their ventilator program, and supporting the development of innovative cell and gene therapies;
- tackling sustainability, creating practical solutions to replacing single-use plastics, and supporting the transition to clean energy;
- protecting the U.K. by supporting the U.K. Ministry of Defence in its innovation efforts, and creating a regulatory strategy for commercial space travel; and
- reinventing infrastructure, by developing proprietary digital technology like iPredict to predict energy utility asset failures as well as working with Virgin Hyperloop One on the first new mode of transport for more than a century.
Jacobs President and Chief Operating Officer Bob Pragada commented: "We are excited about the leading-edge work that PA does, as well as their performance for 2020, which exceeded expectations. Their pipeline of strategic and technical consulting work continues to grow, and looking further into fiscal 2021 and beyond, the Jacobs-PA partnership presents a compelling organic growth opportunity driven by technology-enabled solutions in response to industry disruption and client needs."
Jacobs completed the deal on March 2, 2021, in accordance with the terms announced on November 30, 2020. The transaction was funded through a combination of cash on hand and existing debt facilities.
Rothschild & Co. served as exclusive financial advisor and Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP served as legal counsel to Jacobs.
J.P. Morgan and HSBC served as financial advisors to The Carlyle Group and PA. Linklaters served as legal counsel to The Carlyle Group and PA, and Dickson Minto served as legal counsel to the management of PA.
Note: 1 The enterprise value £1.825 billion ($2.5 billion) is based off foreign exchange rate of 1.3951 USD per GBP.