VARD is pleased to announce that our VARD 9 01 design has once again been chosen for the construction of a Cable Laying Vessel. The contract for the design and construction of the newbuilding is with NCT Offshore in Denmark.
Specially designed and equipped
This is one of several cable layers contracted by VARD since 2011.
- We are very proud that yet again a VARD cable layer has been chosen by one of our customers. This proves the capability and operability of our vessels in this market. We welcome NCT Offshore back to VARD and we are looking forward to the collaboration with them in this new project, says Alberto Maestrini, CEO in VARD.
This VARD 9 01 has been specially designed and equipped for subsea cable laying operations in close collaboration with NCT Offshore, and with a high focus on good sea-keeping capabilities, excellent station keeping performances and low fuel consumption. For improved sustainability the vessel will be equipped with a complete SeaQ power and control package, encompassing batteries, switchboards, and shore connection, allowing for reduction in fuel consumption and increased operability. All this will be operated from the SeaQ bridge with focus on ease of operation, safety, and ergonomics. Further, the vessel is fitted with two main cable tanks, T-ROV hangar, walk-to-work system, is prepared for a large A-frame and single-cabin accommodation for 60 persons. The vessel is equipped with a DP2 system as the primary activities are inter-array cable installation, with capability of cable repair/maintenance and fiber optic cable installation built into the design and fitting of the vessel.
Second contract in 12 months
Head of Legal & Projects at NCT Offshore, Alexander Cortes, expresses his satisfaction and excitement about the choice of the Vard 9 01 as the basis for its new cable layer, and further notes that:
- This is the second time in the span of 12 months that we have signed a contract with VARD for the delivery of a vessel. Based on how well the past delivery was handled, it was an obvious choice for us to approach them with this second requirement. We are very satisfied to have concluded this contract, and we expect further extended collaboration with VARD.
The Group’s high technology subsidiary Vard Electro is also involved in the project through deliveries of SeaQ equipment and solutions. Vard Accommodation is delivering HVAC-R and interior concepts.
We continue to be impressed by the level of transparency and professionalism displayed by the VARD team and we look forward to the years of collaboration and teamwork to come.
– Alexander Cortes, Head of Legal & Projects at NCT Offshore.
Upgraded version of the VARD 9 01 design
Senior Vice President Sales & Marketing in VARD, Roy Arne Stavik, thanks NCT Offshore and says that this contract shows how well the market has received the VARD 9 01 design:
“We are very pleased to again sell a VARD 9 01 design in an upgraded version targeting renewables and fiber optics work and continue our relationship with NCT Offshore. They first came to us last year when they bought a PSV of VARD 1 08 design. We do appreciate them coming back to us with this new build project.”
The vessel is designed by Vard Design in Ålesund, Norway. The hull will be built at Vard Tulcea in Romania, while the final outfitting, commissioning and delivery will be carried out by one of VARD’s shipyards in Norway. VARD is a part of the Fincantieri Group.
The cable layer is scheduled for delivery in Q4 2024.
• Length of approximately 95 meters and a beam of about 21,5 meters.
• Cable installation equipment including cable carousels for taking a total of 4 500 tons of cables.
• State-of-the-art DP2 positioning and seakeeping systems.
• Bollard pull in excess of 60 tons.
• Maximum transit speed will exceed 14 knots.
• Hybrid package.
• Single cabins for 60 pax.