Touchstone Exploration Inc. ("Touchstone") (TXP) reports its operating and financial results for the three months and year ended December 31, 2022. Selected information is outlined below and should be read in conjunction with our December 31, 2022 audited consolidated financial statements, the related Management's discussion and analysis and our December 31, 2022 Annual Information Form, all of which will be available under our profile on SEDAR.
Fourth Quarter 2022 Financial and Operating Highlights
- Achieved initial natural gas production from our Coho-1 well, which produced average net volumes
of 5,729 Mcf/d (955 boe/d) in the quarter and contributed $1,114,000 of net natural gas sales.
- Produced quarterly average volumes of 2,229 boe/d, a 67 percent increase relative to the 1,336
boe/d produced in the prior year equivalent quarter.
- Realized petroleum and natural gas sales of $9,919,000 compared to $8,212,000 in the prior year
equivalent quarter, reflecting natural gas sales from Coho and a 12 percent increase in average crude oil pricing in the fourth quarter of 2022.
- Generated an operating netback of $4,319,000, representing a 17 percent increase from the prior
year equivalent quarter. Operating netbacks were $21.05 per boe, a 30 percent decrease from the
$29.96 per boe reported in the fourth quarter of 2021, attributed to natural gas volumes brought
online in the quarter.
- Recognized current income tax expenses of $1,092,000 in the quarter compared to $208,000 in
the fourth quarter of 2021, driven by $979,000 in supplemental petroleum tax expenses based on
our average realized crude oil price exceeding the $75.00 per barrel threshold in the period.
- Reported funds flow from operations of $691,000 in the quarter compared to $1,309,000 in the prior
year equivalent quarter, as a $637,000 increase in operating netbacks was offset by increased
general and administration, term loan interest and current income tax expenses.
- Recognized a net loss of $1,921,000 ($0.01 per basic share) in the quarter compared to net
earnings of $6,514,000 ($0.03 per basic and diluted share) reported in the same period of 2021,
principally driven by $6,323,000 of impairment reversals (net of tax) recorded on December 31, 2021.
- Following the December Canadian and United Kingdom private placements that raised net
proceeds of $12,269,000, we exited the quarter with a cash balance of $16,335,000, a working
capital surplus of $4,992,000 and a principal balance of $27,000,000 remaining on our term credit
facility, resulting in a net debt position of $16,008,000.
Annual 2022 Financial and Operating Highlights
- Commissioned and delivered natural gas from the Coho facility on October 10, 2022, representing
the first onshore natural gas field to come onstream in Trinidad in 20 years.
- Reported average daily production volumes of 1,581 boe/d, reflecting an 18 percent increase from
2021. Relative to 2021, the 2022 annual increase was attributed to incremental natural gas production from the Coho-1 well, as average 2022 crude oil and liquids production were consistent with 2021 levels.
- Generated funds flow from operations of $3,540,000 (2021 - $4,172,000) and an annual operating
netback of $19,281,000 or $33.42 per boe (2021 - $13,031,000 and $26.55 per boe).
- Recognized a net loss of $3,197,000 ($0.01 per basic share) compared to net earnings of
$5,719,000 ($0.03 per basic and diluted share) in 2021, primarily attributed to $6,323,000 in impairment reversals (net of tax) recognized in the prior year based on increased forecasted crude oil pricing.
- We executed an incident-free $11,330,000 capital program, primarily focused on completing the
Coho natural gas facility and progressing construction of the Cascadura natural gas and liquids
facility. Cascadura facility construction operations commenced in October 2022 following receipt of
all required regulatory approvals.
- Formally executed an extension of the exploration period of the Ortoire licence to July 31, 2026,
allowing us to continue exploration activities on acreage that have not been deemed commercial.
The gross 1,317-acre Coho area and the gross 2,377-acre Cascadura area were previously
approved for commercial development in February 2021 and March 2022, respectively.
- Responsible operations remained a top priority throughout 2022, as Touchstone had no lost time
injuries and released its second sustainability report encompassing the 2021 year. We proactively
responded to the June 2022 vandalism incident that resulted in a crude oil spill and are pleased to
report that all reclamation efforts were completed in September 2022.
• Net average natural gas volumes from Coho-1 were 900 boe/d and 864 boe/d in January 2023 and
February 2023, respectively.
• Daily crude oil sales averaged 1,286 bbls/d in January 2023 with a realized price of $66.48 per
barrel and averaged 1,341 bbls/d in February 2023 with a realized price of $67.14 per barrel.
• The National Gas Company Of Trinidad and Tobago Limited ("NGC") notified us that they expect
to be ready to receive first natural gas from the Cascadura facility on or about June 30, 2023. We
remain on track to complete the Cascadura facility prior to this date to ensure production can
commence as soon as NGC is in a position to receive first natural gas.
• We safely reached budgeted total depth of our Royston-1X sidetrack well on the Ortoire block on
February 24, 2023. The well has been cased, and we expect to commence production testing in
late March 2023.
• In January 2023, we entered into an asset exchange agreement for certain onshore Trinidad assets
with a privately held Trinidadian entity. Pursuant to the agreement, we agreed to swap our operated
100 percent working interests in the Fyzabad, San Francique and Barrackpore producing blocks
for the counterparty's working interest in the Rio Claro, Balata East and Balata East Deep Horizons
blocks for no cash consideration with the asset exchange becoming effective upon closing. The
agreement remains subject to certain closing conditions, including receipt of applicable regulatory
approvals and an extension of the Rio Claro licence.